11 New Mom Must–Have Products
Understanding what your body needs postpartum can be confusing for any mom. Here is a list of 11 items that I found helpful once my daughter arrived.
- Frida Mom Postpartum Recovery Kit. Although this wasn’t available when I was going through my postpartum recovery I was excited to see that a company was making a bundle to aide with postpartum recovery. Frida Mom’ Starter Kit for Perineal Healing includes 4 underwear, 4 Ice Maxi Padsicle Pads, Perineal Cooling Pad Liners(24ct), Perineal Healing Foam(5oz), and a caddy. This kit contains all the supplies you’ll need to jump-start your recovery during those first few days post-delivery.
- Formula Maximum Strength Benzocaine Topical Anesthetic Spray. I don’t know about you but having a baby is painful! Although the hospital gives you a limited amount of postpartum products, for me it just wasn’t enough. SOO I went on a hunt to find all the necessary products that I needed to make my recovery bearable. This spray is the same numbing spray that my hospital provided. It provides the right amount of numbing to briefly make you forget what your body just endured.
- Pre-Moistened Witch Hazel Pads. These thin pads will alleviate some of your post-labor pain/itching. This is the same brand that my hospital provided. Try freezing them to provide ultimate relief.
- Stool Softeners. You just pushed out a baby, trust me you don’t want to push out anything else anytime soon. But when you gotta go, you gotta go. So make it easier on yourself and get some STOOL SOFTENERS. You can thank me later!
- Epson Salt Soaking Solution. When I returned home from having my daughter my feet began to swell. Throughout my pregnancy I didn’t have any swelling but I did have swelling postpartum. My Godmother told me I needed to soak my feet in Epson Salt to drain some of the fluid. Epson Salt is a magnesium sulfate compound, unlike sodium table salt. Epsom salt has been used for hundreds of years as a healing agent and pain reliever. When added to warm water, the magnesium and sulfate in Epson salt are dissolved and easily absorbed through the skin. This boosts the amount of magnesium in your body available for energy production, muscle function, and the reduction of inflammation. This product definitely reduced the inflammation in my feet.
- Washable Organic Nursing Pad. When I can, I try to get organic products. I was happy to find soft comfortable nursing pads. The Kindred Bravely ultra-soft, hypoallergenic, Bamboo Nursing Pads include an adorable carry bag for easy storage and discretion. Not only are these pads soft but they are super absorbent and durable. I never had an issue with stains.
- Nipple Cream. Breastfeeding is an ideal way to nourish and bond with your little one, but nursing can come with the discomfort of sore, cracked nipples. Let’s keep it real, almost every new mom experiences a bloody, dry, cracked nipple at least once. Nipple creams help soothe the pain that comes with breastfeeding. It was important for me to find a nipple cream that was organic and safe for my daughter. I used Motherlove’s Nipple Cream. It is made with all USDA Certified Organic ingredients, including calendula and marshmallow root and is free of lanolin, which may contain pesticides. Because there are no toxic and harmful chemicals for baby, there is no need to remove it prior to breastfeeding.
- Lactation Cookies. Fortunately, I never experienced supply issues when it came to breastfeeding. However, at 6 months postpartum my husband and I decided to take a trip to Mexico. This would be the first time that I would be leaving my daughter and I was scared I wouldn’t be able to pump enough milk to leave with Grandma. Not only did these lactation cookies give me the extra ounces that I needed but they taste so good! I even caught my husband sneaking a bite!
- A good nursing cami. Nursing bras are great but what I enjoyed the most are nursing camis. Not only do you get the convenience of the the drop down cups for nursing but the stretchy spandex material provides support for your midsection after delivering your baby. Just think of your own personal ‘breathable’ spanx!
- Silicone Manual Breast Pump. Silicone Manual Breast Pump collects “let-down” / breast milk leaks and relieves engorgement using pure natural suction pressure. Whenever I would nurse my daughter on one side I had this suction pump on the other side collecting any milk that would leak during my nursing session. Every ounce of breast milk is precious. Save it for your baby.
- Heating Pad For Pain Relief. Honestly this was one of the most surprising yet extremely helpful products that I would recommend to any mom who recently had a baby. Nothing prepared me for the feeling of when your milk comes in. My breast felt like they were on fire (disclaimer… I have an extremely low pain tolerance… everyone experiences this differently). The only thing that provided some type of relief was my heating pad! It significantly reduced the pressure and the pain of this new feeling.
Leave a Comment Below to Share Some of Your New Mom Must Haves!